This is diyhosting.bhh.sh, a site dedicated to freeing folks from google/facebook/amazon by showing them how to setup websites, email servers, chat servers and everything in between.
Starting a website is something that can be done in a lazy afternoon and costs pocket change.
Many internet problems could be solved if more people had their own personal platforms, so the objective of this site is to guide any curious person through the process of setting up a website.
Basic Personal Website Setup
This is the basic "course." Follow these quick tutorials and you'll have a fully functioning basic web page on the domain name of your choice.
⏳ This "basic course" can take as little as an hour or even less.
- Get a domain name.
- Get a server.
- Set up DNS settings to connect your server and domain name.
- Set up your web server.
- Get a secure HTTPS connection with Certbot.
- Rsync: Upload and Sync Files and Websites
- How to Maintain a Server.
- Use your SSH keys to prevent hacking.
- Schedule tasks with Crontabs/Cronjobs.
- Server side scripting with CGI
- Password-protecting Webpages (HTTP Authentication)
- Using ufw as a firewall.
- Create a Gemini Capsule.
- Standalone Certbot Certificates
- Selfhosting on your own server at home
"Build your own platform!"
Host your own services, social media and more.
- Minimalist and federated chat server
- A federated Twitter-like microblogging site
- A federated YouTube-like video site
- Setting up a Nextcloud Instance (file hosting and more)
- Free and easy video conferencing
- Version control software on your own server
- A hyperfast web frontend for git repositories
- A fully-featured git and issue tracking site
- Installing and managing a classic internet relay chat server
- RSS Bridge
- Creating RSS feeds for social media sites
- A library server
- Host your site on a private and peer-to-peer internet layer.
- Host your site on private onion-routing.
In the Works...
These articles are still under construction. Subscribe to our RSS feed for updates.
Articles and Tutorials in Progress...
- Full HTML tutorial
- Full CSS tutorial
- RSS feeds
- SearX (search engine)
On the look out for...
There are other articles not currently under construction which we would like to add the diyhosting.bhh.sh. If you have experience with any of these, you may submit an article for review on the Github. Please include directions for Debian 11 as default. Abstain from using containerization (Docker, etc.). Attempt to follow the same settings as other articles here.
- Email webclients
- Simple static site generators
- XMPP ejabberd
- Movim for XMPP
No ads, trackers or trash on this site. We are funded by doing good and earning gratitude. Express your gratitude in the following ways: